Thursday, September 2, 2010

Irish taxi 2 and 3

Colm. Pronounced call-um. Rhymes with Gollum, but no relation. Trust me.

This was our driver in Killarney to surfing at Inch Beach. Obviously, much of my thankfulness for this man was taking me to an adventure I had been anticipating for many weeks now. Nevertheless, he was also a man very proud of his part of the country, making sure we knew about the horticulture and area through which we drove. We had talked about some of the rules for Gaelic Games, and on our way back (since he also made sure to pick us up after a few hours of surfing), he showed us a Gaelic field--140 yards long!!!

What made him fun was his accent required a bit more concentration. The country folk do not always end their words, which, added to the Irish accent, can be difficult to comprehend. At the same time, he also put me to sleep with how lovely he sounded. haha. Or maybe I was tired from surfing. I dunno.

I laughed harder later that day with our taxi driver named Donal (see? no ending "d" to that name either). I noticed he had the same last name as Colm, that is, O'Donaghue. "O yes, we are related!" he proclaimed.

Earlier that day, we had asked Colm about his family and he responded that he is the youngest of brothers.

Donal, however, said "O no, I am the youngest!"

No comments:

Post a Comment