Thursday, September 2, 2010

Irish taxi 1

Kieran. Pronounced kee-rahn, stressed second syllable.

This man was very kind to us. We got to talk about all sorts of things, but seemed to focus on a certain sport known only in America as soccer. The day he took us to our hotel was the day we had tickets for a futbol match, so Kieran volunteered to pick us up later that day. This was a common theme among cab drivers in Ireland--something I loved dearly.

He picked us up for the 40min drive to Tallaght Stadium. Kieran laughed at how much I couldn't pronounce the name of the stadium, so I just continued to pick on how much he couldn't pronounce my name. But then I still lost as it turned out the game, excuse me, match, began at 8 instead of 7. No worries, Kieran just drove us to a nearby mall so we could have dinner.

As if all this weren't enough, he also insisted on picking us up after the match. He had to get special permission to pick us up from a certain spot, and was impressed that we found him. On the ride home, we had a great time talking about the sport some more, and even getting to know him. I was very thankful for Kieran.

No comments:

Post a Comment