Saturday, June 19, 2010

Victor

I write to prolong the inevitable. The dreaded shower after a day of getting sunburned. My whole body is doing that thing where you shake and get goosebumps. Perhaps I should get some Nyquil just to put me out. Just kidding.

I played a pick up game of soccer tonight with some great folks. Even Hillary Ford and Danielle Presley were there!

Ended up scoring because of some "nice touches" between me and Victor. I had introduced myself early on because he had passed it to me and I um.. I don't remember what happened. But it was probably stupid. Er..

I told him that I'm not much of a soccer player, so I wouldn't be offended if he took the next one on his own.

But then I started getting the hang of it, and sure enough.. GOOOOAAAALLLL!!! I might have celebrated by running down the middle of the field looking like an eagle. Caw!!

During a water break, I got to chat with him some more. Turns out he went to my high school.

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

"Oh-nine."

"Oh-eight!" pause. "I mean um.. I graduated from college in oh-eight, from Lewisville in oh-four."

He was appalled that I am 24. "Yeah, I get that reaction all the time. It's twice as fun when I tell 'em I'm hispanic!"

Any way, after more chatting it also comes to the surface that Victor is from Kenya. He moved here when he was seven. Currently, he's working to become a paramedic, who happens to love the game of soccer.

"I just wish it wasn't so hot when we played."

I suggested California, and he said most likely.

So nothing too crazy about this one. It was just cool to meet a pretty great soccer player not from these parts, and to hear about his dreams (He said he wanted to be a paramedic because he wanted to help make a difference. He couldn't stand sitting back and watching).

No comments:

Post a Comment