Monday, June 14, 2010

Stan

Stan I met on the first day of the mission trip. He came near the very end of the line and I had already gone around offering seconds and refills to those who had gotten their free food first. He sat down by himself, and so I just sat across from him and asked the how d'you'do? You know, the usual get-a-conversation-started type of question.

He was a messy eater. As he talked I kept seeing streaks of mayonnaise or ketchup stream from the corners of his mouth. And he would talk. At times he'd stop to ask, "Am I boring ya?"

Honestly, I was never bored, but I could imagine my face looking so as I was intrigued by all he had to say. That is, stories of all the places he'd been as a youngster. But he also went on a rant as to how I should be a flight attendant so that I could see all the places I wanted to. "You're young, and that would be the cheapest way!" He smiled.

I kept trying to get to the heart of matters for him though. He talked about how he currently works on computers which helps him get by. He doesn't have a degree, but he learns quickly, apparently. So I kept prying, trying to hear what his passion is--what he wants to do. More than just get by. You know?

But that's a tough question.

We ran out of time, but he was eager to see if I would be there next week. I told him I would be gone by that time, but that it was a pleasure to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment