Friday, June 18, 2010

Deborah

I just wrote a thank you note to Mrs. Debbie Blue.

I met Debbie at a conference within the Covenant Church and was simply astounded by her. She has white hair that she wears in a bun, dark chocolate skin, and the type of voice that you want reading to your children at night.

The reason for our meeting was because she was on the prayer team at the conference, and I was in need of some major prayer (who isn't? But I think you know what I mean). She listened to me--the type of listening where you know the other person cares and isn't just nodding while checking the time on his or her wristwatch. Then she prayed a passionate, and spirit-filled prayer.

Surely I was already emotional, but I like to think that the prayer was so fitting and true, that I couldn't help but cry.

She hugged me, and then I had to catch my ride home.

I ended up seeing Debbie several times afterward, as I kept going to the seminars under the Justice and Mercy theme. I was at the conference to learn more about youth ministry, but couldn't help being attracted to the immigration and racial righteousness focused ones. Her passions as well.

In other words, I got to pick her brain some more, and she offered me her email in order to stay in touch. We have been in touch since, as I am compelled to pray for her and the ministry for which she works. I was blown away that she even gave toward my ministry overseas. What a woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment